The bitter cold

January 8, 2014

Much of the country this week is struggling with the bitter cold. With below zero, double-digit tempatures, even simple tasks of getting out of the house are a chore and actually dangerous.

This week, I have been thinking a lot about neighbors who are more vulnerable. When you are already struggling, the cold poses even more problems than usual.

What if your work is cancelled and you have a hourly wage? What is your gas or electric bill going to be like using more heat to eat your home? What if your car won’t start and there is no way to get to your job?

Two facts from our research study, Hunger in America 2010 address the stark reality of how this cold compounds existing hunger problems.

• 10 percent of Feeding America client households are homeless.
  • 35 percent of senior households had to choose between food and paying for heat/utilities.

Feeding America food banks are on the front line getting food to hungry Americans all year long and will be on the front lines during this frost as well. Let’s keep a eye on our neighbors and make sure we all get through this cold as painlessly as possible.

Posted by Feeding America on January 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM in Hunger in the News, National Initiatives
Comments (11) | Tags: , , , ,

TrackBack

Trackback URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Helping the Hungry

Comments

RSS Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I praise the Lord for the works you do for those who are hungry right here in America. I too try to make a difference in my community, for clothing and food for those who are in need. I also am a missionary to South Africa and ask your prayers for them as well as Americans. Sincerely Mrs. Bailey

Posted by bailey | January 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

A very good article. I’ve donated to Feeding America before and perhaps I’ll Do it again

Posted by steve zimmett | January 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Unfortunately I find myself in that position. My employment was disrupted by a state action against the entire non profit behavioral health industry in my state. I am unemployed and have been for four months, in two months my benefits run out and there are no job prospects at this time. I am in the same positions as 11 million other American workers and the easily 10 million that have already made the transitions from productive members of society to hungry and homeless indigents. We do need to help each other, we also need to remember that we are only in our position through luck and that something can end your position in life with no notice.

Posted by Kenneth Davis | January 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I have empathy for them. we try to help as many as we can.

Posted by paul | January 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM

HUNGER in America would have been unbelievable 20+ years ago and we are still providing Food, Clothing. etc. to Third World Nations.

We are no longer the Land of the Proud and the Free!!!

Posted by H. Guido Meindl | January 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

You are so right, and the picture of this gentleman shows how many people who are homeless, jobless, foodless and so-much-more-less are forced to survive is there’s nothing to help them. Many government employees and/or others who deal with these people get used to looking the other way because it’s easier than to search their own souls for solutions. Thank you for spending your lives in caring for our brothers and sisters.

Posted by Barbara Efraimson | January 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Hunger and homelessness are no longer just issues in so-called third world regions, but is a growing one right here among our own neighbors. The Great Recession and growing income inequality have made a sorrowful situation even worse.

Posted by Randall Pouwels | January 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Well, I think 2014, like some of the last few years, will start on a SOUR note because of all the FRIGID temperatures we suffer from Canada. Later on, while we have SOME people laid off (or terminated), those who have been working on a MINIMUM wage will probably RESORT to doing something CRAZY so they can get enough food for themselves. If this country had SOMEONE who could help out, and make things easier on the poor, and made sure we had a WONDERFUL year, then I’d have some CONFIDENCE in the future ahead.

Posted by David Lawrence Konen | January 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

“35 percent of senior households had to choose between food and paying for heat/utilities.”
That breaks my heart. What is going on in this “Christian nation” when we turn our backs on the most vulnerable people in our society? Are people who have worked hard all their lives to be abandoned when they are least able to work and care for themselves? How can we think its acceptable for children to go hungry in the richest nation in the world when SNAP is cut? How do good-hearted people justify this cruelty and look away. We should be marching in the streets demanding reform. It just breaks my heart.

Posted by Janet | January 18, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Yes I find this to be true . I have oil heat and am finding it hard to keep my home warm this winter. I wish there was help for people like me on a fixed income but make more than the limit for lithesome. I don’t know what I càn do. I find I will be in the cold . And my electric being threatened to be turned off every month because the electric company wants $400 a month or they will shut that off . I have no one to help me . What do people like me do ? Food is scarce because I have to buy oil every few days and pay to keep the electric on. It’s getting harder yo do every month leaving other bills piling up.

Tammy

Posted by Tammy Washington | January 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I’m very interested in donating my time to assist in the food banks, or shelters in the stl, mo area.

Posted by tawana | February 2, 2014 at 5:07 AM