How many people will lose SNAP (food stamp) benefits?

July 6, 2012

This infographic demonstrates what will happen if the current version of the Farm Bill is passed.

To learn more about how to contact your members of Congress, visit hungeractioncenter.org

Posted by Dan Michel on July 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM in National Initiatives
Comments (7) | Tags: , , ,

TrackBack

Trackback URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Helping the Hungry

[...] take to fix a leakMany people don’t have a SSNCommon Medical problems Overweight Many people FaceHow many people will lose SNAP (food stamp) benefits .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]

Posted by The Khaki Skirt - A Versatile Choice | Design Skirt.com | July 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Comments

RSS Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

More Socialism. This program is OUT OF CONTROL. I see nothing but fat people buying custom cakes at supermarkets with their EBT and SNAP crap. Years ago it was Meat, eggs and cheese. The day I see someone on the corner with a big belly like I do in Africa I may help them BUT first I’ll ask did you or will you take any job to take care of yourself? I am feeding these people with my tax money that I work my butt off for. I buy all generic goods at the supermarket and these SNAP and WIC people are buying all the name brand items. WHAT is WRONG with that picture?

Posted by John Ciano | July 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

what they need to do is put tight regulations on what you can buy with them NO SOD CANDY OR $10 LB STEAKS….. SORRY!!…fruits veggies milk eggs bread cheese cereal you know the basics…its a good way to get to be a healthier YOU! way to many scams getting run on food stamp cards people selling them for QUARTER OF THERE WORTH.. and thats just the tip…

Posted by Joe from hell | July 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

i recive snaps i buy what my kids need ( but i do think it wrong that just about anyone can get on snap now days i know a lot of folk who make damn good money and yet ae on food stamps or lie and say thay arehomeless to recive food stamps and if you turn them in nothing is done my ex works 40 plus hours a week has only one bill and one kid to take care of and he get food stamps whats that ! it was that if you didn’t have a please to live you didn’t get help befor why did that change

Posted by julie | September 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I cant believe the rude comments! I have three young children. I am a stay at home mom who cares for a handicapped child. My husband got injured and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. We have decent insurance, but insurance doesnt pay 100% of the medical bills or our living expense. Our savings were wiped out completely. I could not get a job temporarily, as it would have cost more for child care than what I would have earned. My husband did receive temporary disability benefits, but it wasnt enough to cover our basic needs. I had the cable disconnected. Internet-disconnected. All extra spending (movies, toys occasionally, etc) came to an abrupt halt. Until my husband could return to work, we received SNAP benefits. According to your closed minded comments, it wasnt enough that daddy was in the hospital and undergoing rehab upon release, no more cartoons to watch, and no presents for the two youngest (4 and 5 yo) birthdays, I should have said “no”when my children asked if they could have their favorite cereal since its not generic! Seriously people, get a grip. There are SOME people who misuse these type of benefits. There are also those of us who do not have a choice. Try being more optomistic. Instead of having ugly thoughts when you see someone pull out the EBT card, think about my situation. You may find yourself in the same predicament someday. You never know a persons story unless you ask, and its not yours or my right to judge.

Posted by shhnazzy | September 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Julie… I agree. I lost my job and though I send out a crazy amount of resumes per week I am still not employed full time. I do sub word and work as much as I can but for now would not be able to put food on the table if it wasnt for SNAP. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I have to rely on the program because I have always worked and never had to take help from anyone so it is a humbling experience. I just reapplied and think I might have been denied which just gives me one more thing to stress about. I am raising two children so it is difficult. I do agree that there are people taking advantage like the 20 something obvious drug addict who was in front of me when I went to apply. He not only got foodstamps but cash benefits as well. So people try not to judge everyone. Like Julie said in the comment before me… you don’t know someones situation. I cant wait to be off of any assistance and be able to manage on my own once again. And before anyone replies to me and says there are plenty of jobs out there I don’t want to hear it. You dont know where I live or what the situation is here.

Posted by Linda | October 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

They are everywhere…This is happening in Mobile, Alabama, but at the FOOD stamp OFFICE. Now, I am black and the Food Stamp employees (workers, supervisors and security guards) that I have seen are black and very, very rude at the food stamp office on Broad Street. I cannot go into details because I am going to write the Director in Montgomery Alabama about the issues that they are putting my daughter through. Got a complaint, look on your food stamp letter, get the director name and address off of it and address the matter to her or him. If all else fails contact the Governor. You can reach them both online through email after you look them up. She or he may be a just person. There are people you can talk to concerning your problems, but when ask, the Food Stamps employees will not tell you. However the Food Stamps Employees will give you a phone number knowing that no one will pick up the phone. I had a house fire. I lost my food, clothes and furniture in the house fire. The Food Stamps worker and her supervisor denied me food stamps. They said I waited to late after 10 days I was no longer eligible for food stamps. Get this, the tenth day fell on the weekend, which was the day I was told by a friend to go to the Food Stamp Office and applied on Monday. Now, Monday was the eleventh day and I really needed food. Thank God I am not on Food Stamps. Just think, how many more people are out there that are being bullied, by Food Stamp Employees.

Posted by Kidd | February 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM